We can’t believe it is the start of a new year already!
New families and new children
To all our new Day One families and children who will be having their very first Day 1 at Day One – WELCOME!
We are looking forward to getting to know you and introducing your child to Day One Early Learning Centres.
As your child’s first day draws near, we realise that you and your child may be filled with mixed emotions. We do understand your feelings and are here to support you and your child through the settling in period.
If you have any questions or concerns, please approach one of our friendly team members and they will assist you in any way they can.
Some children take to new environments extremely well while others may be a little bit apprehensive or unsure. There are a few things you can do to make the settling in period as easy and stress-free as possible for you and your child.
Preparing for the First Day
- Prepare your child beforehand. Talk about the Centre, the activities, new friends, new toys
- Feel free to drop in with your child and visit the Centre for short periods before the actual starting date
- Drive past the Centre on the weekends – show the rest of the family your child’s ‘new school’
- Label a bag – let your child help to pack it, teach them to recognise their ‘own’ bag
- Label all clothing and shoes (this helps both us and your child).
- Review the Parent Handbook or request a copy if you have not yet received one
On Your First Day
- If possible, make your child’s first day at the Centre shorter than usual to ensure a slow and happy transition
- Bring your child into the appropriate room. A team member from that room will welcome you and introduce you to the other staff and children
- Allow your child some time to sit/stand and watch. They may not feel ready to join in straight away and will need to do so at their own pace
- Staff will show you many things to do with the Centre including the following:
- Where to put your bag
- Menu for the week
- Sleep chart
- Sign-in book
- Classroom communication book
- Information areas
- Program display
We are looking forward to the beginning of a beautiful relationship with you and your family in 2017.